With the new release of the Minions movie it’s no wonder Minion treats are so popular. This weekend I whipped up some delicious Minion Sugar Cookies that my entire family fell in love with. No only are they delicious but they were super easy to decorate and the kids loved them. These are perfect for a simple dessert or for any Minion themed party.
Minion Sugar Cookies
This recipe will make 8 large minion sugar cookies.
- 2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Wilton candy melts – yellow
- Wilton candy melts – white
- Large Oreo cookies
- Mini Oreo Cookies
- Wilton black icing gel tube
- Wilton royal blue and black food gel
- Wilton candy eyes (large size)
- Optional: red fruit roll ups and white Wilton cube sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
2. In a small mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed butter and mix for one minute.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until well-incorporated.
6. Using a jumbo-sized cookie scoop, form 8 balls out of the dough and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 hours on a wire rack.
8. Melt 1/2 cup of the yellow Wilton candy melts in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
9. Spread the melted candy on each sugar cookie and let cool for at least 1 hour.
10. Melt 1/3 cup of the white Wilton candy melts in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
11. Add a small drop of royal blue and black food gels into the melted white candy mixture and stir until a grey color is achieved.
12. Separate a large Oreo cookie and dip the piece without the creme filling on it into the grey icing and cover completely. (Keep the piece with the filling for later). Cool on wax or parchment paper for at least 1 hour. This grey cookie will be the base for a large minion eyeglass.
13. Separate 2 small Oreo cookies and dip the pieces without the creme filling into the grey icing and cover completely. Cool on wax or parchment paper for at least 1 hour. These small cookies will be the base for minion eyeglasses.
14. Attach a large grey Oreo cookie in the center of a sugar cookie with a dab of melted icing.
15. Gently remove the Oreo creme filling from the saved piece and place on the large silver Oreo.
16. Place a large candy eye in the middle of the creme filling on the large silver Oreo.
17. Add the sides of the glasses and the mouth with a tube of black icing gel.
18. Optional: Cut a small piece of a red fruit roll up to resemble a minion tongue. The white cube sprinkles can be added for teeth.
19. Add pieces of hair strands with the black food icing.
20. Repeat steps 14 thru 19 using the mini Oreos and 2 candy eyes for each minion head.
21. Let dry for at least 2 hours (icing gel will smear if you do not let it dry for 2 hours).
22. ENJOY! YUM!