Have you ever seen that meme floating around Facebook that says “I get more cleaning done in the 10 minutes before someone comes over, then I do in a whole week?” It’s so true for my household and I am guessing for many of you! If you have someone coming over in a hurry, you’ll need these tips on How to Fake a Clean Home in 20 Minutes or Less.
- Get those dishes out of the sink. If your home is dirty, the first thing people are going to notice is your sink. Throw those dishes in the dishwasher to make your home look cleaner. A dirty sink is not your friend when it comes to making your house look cleaner. Another friendly tip is to get a deep single sink which is able to hide dishes from afar! We love ours.
- Keep baskets handy. There’s something about baskets that make a home look cleaner. For example- quickly folding your cozy blankets and putting them into a basket can make your home look a lot tidier than leaving them on the sofa. I love to keep a large basket next to my couch and when I know company is heading over I toss all the kids toys and clutter into the basket and top off with a nice blanket! (This way the guests assume it’s folded blankets) Plus I have a large basket at our entry table that holds all our shoes. It makes our entry look awesome and the shoes are still easily accessible.
- Get the laundry going. If your laundry is piled up and you have someone coming over, start a load of laundry. It will make your floor look a little cleaner and also make it look like you’re in the process of a heavy duty laundry day!
- Clean off the counters and tables. If you only have 20 minutes to make your home look clean, then get those counters and coffee tables cleared off. At the point don’t worry about where you’re putting items, just get them out of sight.
- Get a Storage Ottoman Coffee Table. Glass coffee tables aren’t kid friendly so we love to have a storage ottoman on hand. When company is coming over we can easily store our clutter, toys, magazines, remotes and anything else in there. It’s concealed and your home looks instantly clean. Flip the lids over on the ottoman and it’s perfect for entertaining guest with their own table top. This one is a must have!
- Do a quick vacuum of your house. You can always tell when a home has been vacuumed and it always makes the whole house look extra clean. If you only have a few minutes to clean your home, spend those few minutes vacuuming. You’ll be glad you did!
- Get the toys off the floor. Cleaning a home in 20 minutes or less requires that you get all toys off of the floor. A toy box or ottoman works wonders for placing toys in. Toys are super easy to cleanup, as long as you have an easy place to put them. Another easy tip hide them behind the couches that your guests will be able to see or store them in a room that no one will access.
These seven tips will make fake cleaning your home super easy. When you only have 20 minutes or less to get your home “looking clean” these are your go to chores. I love these tips because there have been many times I needed to do this. Being a family of five doesn’t always equal a perfect house, but my guests don’t need to know that!
If you love this post you’ll love my post on How to Fake Clean a Bathroom. Perfect for those last minute guests!